Friday 20 September 2013

Cringing in Silence

As I walked into the break room to refill my water bottle one morning, two medical assistants were chatting about where they take their dogs to be groomed. One I have already introduced.  Betty confided to Co-worker that she failed to conceive on her own, and by the time she went to an RE, she had a depleted ovarian reserve. It took her a long time even to acknowledge Co-worker's pregnancy and she revealed that even years after embracing her child-free status, she still found baby showers and other children-related events difficult to attend. When I joined the practice nearly five years ago, a few staffers revealed that Veronica was trying to conceive. Two years later, she disclosed to me that she failed to ovulate with 100 mg of Clomid and she decided not to pursue any further treatments. Her husband had a teenaged daughter from a previous relationship, and she had accepted her role as a step-mother. A year ago, she approached me and asked for an IUD, noting that she'd be pissed if she became pregnant at this time. I could appreciate her desires and understood that it was a painful process to arrive at that place.

Michael Scott, the office busybody, walked in the room and started listening to their conversation. "You spend how much on your dogs?" she gasped (as if she didn't engage in any frivolous purchases ahem, purses!) "That's ridiculous" she criticised. Betty was quick to react, "My dogs are my children!" she exclaimed as Veronica nodded in agreement. Michael Scott just rolled her eyes, "No they're not. You should have had real babies."

I nearly dropped my water bottle. While I would never actually resort to violence; on any given day, I could fantasize about hitting Michael Scott. Now I was imagining myself putting my weight behind my punch. I'm pretty sure Co-worker is the only one who knows about Betty's infertility history, but Michael Scott certainly knew about Veronica's story.

Her words stung like a slap in the face. They may not have been directed toward me, but I felt their effects. Such is the solidarity of infertility. Make an insensitive comment to one of my sisters and you hurt us all. I wanted to speak up. I wanted to say something to put Michael Scott in her place. Alas, I cannot. To do so would expose their skeletons as well as mine. Members of this sorority vow to honour each other's secrets. Such is the solitude of infertility. Alas, I'm cringing in silence.

15 comments:

  1. Ugh! I hate that people say such insensitive things. What a sucker punch to the gut!! I am cringing in silence along with you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is horrifying! It's also a wildly inappropriate thing to say to a woman *regardless* of a history of infertility. People can be such ass hats sometimes, can't they? I'm sorry for all of you who had to experience that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a bitch! I remember another post about this woman, and I think maybe someone should take her aside and tell her that those kinds of comments are inappropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Punch her.

    My FIL recently made some insensitive comments when a (childfree) friend was visiting, along the lines of how your life is only worthy if you have kids. A few days earlier he had said how happy he was that we "finally decided" to have kids... They know we've been trying for years, so I really have no idea where this stuff comes from. I finally decided to remind him that not everyone has a choice when it comes to this. (Obviously, the choice to be childfree is fine, too, but I was afraid that'd be too much at once). Given that they know about our situation, I figured I can say something without necessarily exposing anyone else.

    Is there anyone that could explain to Michael Scott that such comments are not appropriate, from a purely work-related perspective? There must be patients that cannot conceive despite wanting to (I'm not sure she is actually seeing patients...)

    Anyway, sorry you have such an obnoxious colleague.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, she is an administrator and does not have contact with patients. I think she very much knows that she is insensitive and inappropriate and simply doesn't care...

      Delete
  5. I am laying an epic mental beat-down on Michael Scott in my head right now. What a colossal ass. Infertility or no infertility, that's an incredibly mean and insensitive thing to say.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exactly, So tough. You want to be the one to set them straight, but then you out yourself and your comrades. Sorry you have to be surrounded by someone like that on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I nominated you for the Liebster Award: http://theempressandthefool.wordpress.com/2013/09/21/liebster-who-doesnt-love-a-little-recognition/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some people do just deserved to be slapped. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhh...this hurt to read. I'm sure you did the right thing to maintain everyone's privacy....but WOW.....I don't know if I'd have been strong enough (or have stopped myself quickly enough) but put Michael Scott in her place!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's pretty terrible. (And a very appropriate pseudonym BTW.) I feel so lucky that none of my coworkers has said anything like that...I guess it's one of the perks of broadcasting my IF troubles.

    I also wanted to let you know that I have been reading every post...from my iPhone. For whatever reason, to comment on Blogger, I have to do it from my PC, which doesn't happen when I get busy, but I am following along and thinking about you often!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a horrible, horrible person... I am cursing up a storm here, but I imagine in the moment you would probably have just been too shocked to even say anything. It's so sad that people can have so little understanding, so little regard for what someone else may have been through in life, or what's truly important to them. Honestly, if a woman told me she was in love with a stuffed animal, I still wouldn't judge -- you never know people's full stories, so why make assumptions and start telling them what does and doesn't matter?

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG that is amazingly horrible. It would have taken all of my willpower to NOT hit Michael Scott (what an apropos nickname). Ugh. Some people are just so clueless.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Instead of a lunch, I am giving her a swift kick in the ass! What a cruel thing to say, regardless of anyone's fertility status, it's just mean. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete